Dr Aminudin Rahman Mohd Mydin
Specialization : Oncology/Radiotherapy
Languages : Malay, English
Phone : 603-7718 1000 Ext: 1061, 603-77181061
He graduated from the University of Malaya in 1999. After serving the Ministry of Health Malaysia as a medical officer in Cardiothoracic Surgery and Clinical Oncology.
He did his postgraduate training in Clinical Oncology in St Luke’s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, the National Cancer Centre in Ireland. He obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists (UK) in Clinical Oncology in 2006. He later worked as a Research Registrar under Professor John Armstrong, St. Luke’s Institute of Cancer Research, and was involved in a few EORTC and ICORG(Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group) clinical trials in prostate, lung and esophagus cancers. He continued his training and research in radiation oncology as a Clinical Research Fellow in the British Columbia, Vancouver Island Centre, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada under Professor Ivo Olivotto , Head of Radiation Oncology, BCCA(2007-2008).
Here, he was involved in RTOG and NCI Canada clinical trials in partial breast radiotherapy and breast IMRT. He also received training in IMRT/IGRT especially in head and neck cancers and formal training in prostate brachytherapy with LDR iodine seeds in the BCCA Vancouver Cancer Centre, which has the largest prostate brachytherapy programme in Canada. As part of the training, he had the opportunity to attend the Seattle Prostate Institute Prostate Brachytherapy Course, Seattle, Washington.
At the end of 2008, he came back to Malaysia and was appointed Consultant Clinical Oncologist in the Department of Radiotherapy & Oncology, Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL), the National Tertiary Referral Centre of Malaysia. Here, he was involved in the multidisciplinary care of cancer patients, especially in breast, colorectal, gynecological, head & neck, prostate &genitourinary cancers and CNS tumours. He was instrumental in starting the IMRT/IGRT services including organising the first National Workshop on Head & Neck IMRT/IGRT and was involved in the SRS/SRT programme for intracranial lesions in HKL. He was a member of the National Committee for Malaysian Guidelines on Radiation Protection in Permanent Prostate Brachytherapy, Ministry of Health, Malaysia. In late 2011, he was appointed an Associate Professor of Medicine (Oncology) in the Faculty of Medicine, University Technology MARA (UiTM), before joining KPJ Johor Specialist Hospital as Consultant Clinical & Radiation Oncologist in 2012. In 2017, he joined KPJ Damansara Specialist Hospital as a resident consultant.
He has published articles in major international peer-reviewed oncology journals and presented at major international oncology meetings (ASTRO & CARO)
He has a special interest in health tourism and hopes that more international patients especially from the Asia Pacific region and the Middle East will come to the KPJ Damansara Specialist Hospital, which provide high quality, state –of-the-art cancer treatments. The hospital is also ideally located in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, with easy access to international airports in Kuala Lumpur.
He is working with the team of doctors and nurses in the hospital to setup a comprehensive cancer centre which includes the LINAC with IMRT capabilities and a new Oncology Day Care Centre with well-trained and experienced oncology nurses.
Education and Fellowship:
- Fellow Radiation Oncology (Canada) (2008) The University of British Columbia, Victoria, BC, Canada.
- FRCR (UK) (2006) Faculty of Clinical Oncology, the Royal College of Radiologists, London, UK
- MBBS (Malaya) (1999) Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Radiation Oncology: IMRT/IGRT, SRS/SBRT, PET/CT in radiotherapy planning, brachytherapy of gynecologocial and prostate cancers, partial breast radiotherapy
- Medical Oncology: chemotherapy, biological & targeted therapies, treatment of breast, colorectal, head& neck, gynaecological, genitourinary cancers, CNS tumours and lymphomas
- Palliative Care.
Research and Publications:
- Mydin AR, Armstrong JG. Radiotherapy Plus Anti-EGFR Therapy is Safe in a Head and Neck Cancer Patient on Immunosuppressants for Liver Transplant. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2007 Jun;19(5):365-6
- Mydin AR, Armstrong JG. Acneiform Rash secondary to Anti-EGFR Therapy plus Head and Neck Radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2007 Oct;85(1):171
- Mydin A, Gaffney H, Bergman A, McDonald R, Beckham W, Truong P, Olivotto I. Does a 3-field Electron / Mini-tangent Photon (Mixed Modality) Technique Offer Dosimetric Advantage to Multi-field, Photon Only Technique for Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)? Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug;33(4):336-40.
- Kader HA, Mydin AR, Wilson M, Alexander C, Shahi J, Pathak I, Wu JS, Truong PT. Treatment Outcomes of Locally Advanced Oropharyngeal Cancer: A Comparison Between Combined Modality Radio-Chemotherapy and Two Variants of Single Modality Altered Fractionation Radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Aug 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Alexander AS, Mydin A, Jones SO, Christie J, Lim JT, Truong PT, Ludgate C. Extreme risk prostate adenocarcinoma with presenting PSA >40 ng/mL: the prognostic significance of preradiation PSA nadir. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Dec 1;81(5):e713-9. Epub 2011 Jan 27.
- Mydin AR, Dunne MT, Finn MA, Armstrong JG. Early Salvage Hormonal Therapy for Biochemical Failure Improved Survival in Prostate Cancer Patients After Neoadjuvant Hormonal Therapy Plus Radiation Therapy-A Secondary Analysis of Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group 97-01. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- MR Hassan & W Lim (eds), The First Annual Report of the National Cancer Patient Registry – Colorectal Cancer 2007 – 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2010. AR Mydin, Chapter 4: Chemotherapy, Chapter 5: Radiotherapy.
- ASTRO (American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology) – International Member
- National Cancer Society Malaysia- Member.
- Academy of Medicine, College of Radiology – Member
- MOS (Malaysian Oncology Society) – Life Member
- IMAM (Islamic Medical Association Malaysia) – Life Member6)MMA (Malaysia Medical Association)- Life Member
|Monday||08:30 – 17:00|
|Tuesday||08:30 – 17:00|
|Wednesday||08:30 – 17:00|
|Thursday||08:30 – 17:00|
|Friday||08:30 – 17:00|