Dr Gan Eng Cheng
Specialization : Orthopedic, Sport & Trauma Surgeon
Qualification : MBBS (MAL), MSORTH (UKM), FRCS (EDIN), AM (MAL), MS Sports Med (QLD. Australia)
Languages : Malay, English, Chinese
Phone : 03-7718 1000 Ext 1402
Suite Number : 1-15
Dr EC Gan obtained his MBBS degree from the University of Malaya in 1989, Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeon Edinburgh in 1993, Masters in Surgery (Orthopaedic) from the National University of Malaysia in 1995 and was elected as a member of the Academy of Medicine, Malaysia in 1995. He had in 2013 graduated from Queensland University, Australia for his Master of Sports Medicine. He have been working as a lecturer and Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. Currently, he is a Resident Consultant Orthopaedic and Sports Injuries Surgeon in KPJ Damansara Specialist Hospital.
After obtaining his Masters degree, he have spent almost a year acquiring new knowledge, surgical skills and hands-on training in various fields in the United States and Europe. He have visited and learned from many Sports Medicine Centres, most of which are in the United States including Georgia Tech Sports Centre Atlanta, Campbell’s Clinic Sports Medicine Centre Memphis, University of Alabama Sports Centre, American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) and Centre for Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, Pittsburgh.
He had the privilege to assist and work with world renowned arthroscopic surgeon and sports medicine specialist, Prof. Freddie H. Fu in Pittsburgh as well as Dr Juergen Eichborn in Germany in various arthroscopic surgeries. He also had hands-on experience on sports injuries treatment in the Institute Orthopaedico Gaetamo Pini Milano, Italy and intensive practical surgical sessions in advanced training in llizarov limb lengthening and bone transport in Leeco, Italy.
Education and Fellowship:
MBBS (MAL), MSORTH (UKM), FRCS (EDIN), AM (MAL), MS Sports Med (QLD. Australia)
* General Orthopaedics
* Orthopaedics Trauma
* Arthroscopic surgery especially for sports injuries and trauma
– ACL and PCL arthroscopic reconstruction surgery
– Arthroscopic meniscal surgery repair
– Arthroscopic ankle surgeries
– Arthroscopic shoulder surgeries
– Arthroscopic cartilage reconstruction and replantation
* Knee & Hip reconstructive and replacement surgeries for osteoarthritis and trauma.
* Spinal surgeries
* Illizarov Limb Lengthening and bone transport
* Pioneer in usage of mesenchymal stem cells especially for the treatment of cartilage damage using allogenic stem cells
* Post-surgery rehabilitation for return to sports
* Sports injuries prevention and non-surgical treatment
* Sport performance enhancement and technique correction and rehabilitation
* Dietary advice in sports, weight loss and weight control.
Research and Publications:
He have written a book on “Rehabilitation of the knee injuries of the ACL, PCL and menisci” with Prof. Freddie H Fu and Prof. James Irrgang, a physical therapist specialist as a visiting research scholar during his stay in Pittsburgh.
His interests and involvement in knee arthroplasty / knee replacement has led him to write a book for patient education entitled “Osteoarthritis and Total Knee Replacement”.
He have been involved in organizing many National Orthopaedic Courses among which include National Arthroscopic Surgery, Spine Hands-On Surgery and Joint Replacement Symposiums.
* An elected Member of the European Society of Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA).
* A Council Member for the Malaysia Association of Sports Medicine.
* A Member of Malaysian Orthopaedic Association (MOA).
* A Member of Malaysian Arthroscopic Society (MAS).
* A Clinic Associate Consultant in Sports Injuries with the Institut Sukan Negara.
* A Consultant for the National Football and States teams.
* A regular columnist on Sport Injuries in popular local magazines, “Bolasepak” and Her World.